The Worlds Best And Worst Airports For Making Connecting Flights
Calculating airport time is always a major part of travel planning. Arriving an hour before your flight can often not be nearly enough time. When booking flights that include connections what’s the minimum time you need to make it to the next departure gate? Trying to avoid a tight connection could leave you with extra hours in the airport but missing the connection can cost a whole day. When booking a cruise or package tour often you are dependent on their booking office unless you’re willing to pay an up-charge.
After you’ve missed enough connections you start paying attention to which airports are the worst and which are the best for making those connections. In looking at reviews of airports there are some common threads that help define the best and worst. The better airports for connections have a high rate of on-time departures and arrivals, good layouts and internal transportation, well staffed security and passport checkpoints and a reputation for assisting people with tight connections. Following are the results of a 2019 study of airports and their connecting times.
Worst Airports For Making a Connecting Flight
- Madrid Adolfo Suarez – Barajas Airport (MAD) +1.75 Hours
- Frankfurt International (FRA): +1.5 Hours
- London Heathrow (LHR): +1.5 Hours
- Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG): +1.25 Hours
- Shanghai Pudong International (PVG): +1.2 Hours
- Los Angeles International (LAX): +1 Hour
- Sydney Kingsford Smith (SYD): +1 Hour
- Tokyo Narita International (NRT): +1 Hour
- Boston Logan International (BOS): +1 Hou
Best Airports for Making a Connecting Flight
- Zurich Airport (ZRH): <10 minutes
- Salt Lake City International (SLC): <15 minutes
- Tampa International (TPA): <15 minutes
- Orlando International (MCO): <15 minutes
- Charlotte Douglas International (CLT): <20 minutes
- Denver International (DEN): <20 minutes
- London Stansted (STN): <20 minutes
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL): <25 minutes
- Dubai International (DXB): <25 minutes
- Hong Kong International (HKG): <25 minutes
This won’t guarantee you can avoid missing connections but it can go a long way when planning that trip.
Of course there had to be an App to help. If you fly a lot FlightConnections can be a real asset. So don’t waste hours searching airports, airlines, flights and connections. Download FlightConnections! On The App Store or Google Play.
- Interactive Flight Route Map.
- Plan a trip based on your preferred departure airport.
- Find new, nearby airports on the map.
- Filter by airline or travel alliance.
- Discover airline routes and flight schedules / timetables.
- Compare direct flights or connecting flights.
- Show connecting flights with one or two stops.
- Show connecting flights with different airlines, or the same airline only.
- Find cheap flights and book flight tickets for the best price available.